30.1.09

Post- the sixth: la grève (the strike)



Yesterday there was strike-- une grève -- see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7858467.stm; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7858318.stm. This is beyond a bizarre phenomenon to me. This is supposed to be "effective"...supposed to accomplish something? Ultimately, doesn't this just create more problems?
Alternatively, there is something nice in seeing people collectively feel like they "have a voice" and can impact change. This is much less passive, much less apathetic that in the U.S. I don't know, though...it still all seems...I don't know!
It seems there will always be discontent. That is axiomatic. Somebody is always going to be unhappy about something. As for redressing discontent, especially when it rises to massive levels...I just do not see how this method is at all effective. Paralysis is supposed to solve problems? I try to understand, but this is perplexing!! We live in complex, troubling times. I just don't see how this is any sort of solution....





In any case, yesterday was yesterday! I've had some time to see more of Paris, see more of Cergy, do some reading, and do some studying, including a conversation exchange with a French engineering student named Adrien, where I helped him with his English and he helped me with my French. We will do this weekly. He is very kind and I think it is very helpful for both of, especially with just hearing and pronouncing language in a more targetted type of practice.
I also have had the opportunity to purchase tickets to visit my friend Doris who lives in Noyant. I will travel there next weekend. I spent ages in line since only one guichet was open, evidentally the computer-- ordinateur-- was not functioning at the other one. I was pleased that my French was sufficient enough to first apologize in French for my poor French and then to get precisely the tickets I need!
So Noyant is about 2 hours from here via rail. Nobody seems to know where it is. It is small. I am sure it will be wonderful. Doris complains that it is cold. Ummm. Hello! I'm from Maine! *giggles* Mostly I am just thrilled to see Doris-- my dear friend from undergraduate studies back at Brandeis (http://www.brandeis.edu/). It has been far, far, far too long. I suppose the last time we saw each other was on a long layover I had at Charles de Gaulle (airport), passing through to Madrid. That must have been...spring 2007? Yeeeeps. Though we e-mail so frequently, this actual in-person visit is long, long overdue! Soon I will have to make plans to see other friends I know scattered all about this country. It is really splendid!
In any event, if you want to see additional photos, please see my Facebook profile. It has been infernally difficult to upload anything onto Blogspot. Je suis desolée. :-( Facebook has not been too easy, either, but it is easier than Blogspot. I suppose this may all relate back to my impatience (see "Post- the fourth"). :-)
Bonne journée!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment