27.1.09

Post- the fifth: In which she registers for classes...maybe...possibly...enfin...

So. I think I have classes. Perhaps. Maybe. Despite a very disconcerting e-mail from my dean back at UMaine Law. "Amanda - I will need course descriptions for the classes. I am not sure whether all of those will transfer.... I hope you are having a wonderful time in France!"




Actually, I was having a wonderful time until I received that e-mail, merci. Um.










People here have been friendly, and helpful, and in a word, wonderful, merveilleux. The family I am staying with is very kind. Yesterday (lundi) I tried to go to the school to register. First, the machine for the train tickets would not accept my stupid American credit card. I assure you there are sufficient funds!

So, I went to the info counter and explained this in my very limited French. The lady came out of the booth, tried to help with the machine, and when she could not get it to work, she took me across the station all the way to the guichet and stayed with me until I had my carte hebdomadaire and was on my way. I could never imagine anybody being so helpful on a commuter train in Boston.


Then, I got to the school and found that the person I needed to see to register for law courses would not be in until the next day. That was alright, though, because I was able to complete some necessary administrative formalities, enroll in a French course, and explore the area a bit.




So, today, aujourd'hui, mardi, I went back to the school. I met with the lady to register, and she was very kind and explained that yesterday she had been taking her daughter off to study abroad in the Netherlands. (I love that studying in various places is so encouraged here. It would nice if in our myopic-little-American-lawschool-mindset we, too, could see the benefits of international learning that other programs clearly already appreciate....)






So, I got all my classes and I came to send the list to my dean in Maine only to receive the above message. I am quite sure this will all work out in the end, though. Presently, in addition to a French course, I am enrolled in the following classes on French Law: (1) Company Law, Capital Market and Banking, Litigation (Droit des affaires); (2) Civil Rights and Civil Liberties in Europe (Libertés publiques en europe); (3) Criminal Law and Procedure (Droit pénal et procédure); (4) Antitrust and Competition Law (Droit de la concurrence). Well, well, now let us see how all of that will work out! *Smiles*


À Bientôt!


-A

1 comment:

  1. sounds like things are off to a pretty smooth start! let me know if you need anything. my cell phone number is on facebook. I have four day weekends all this semester, so I am up for travels and/or visits whenever!!

    ReplyDelete