19.1.09

Post- the first

Bonjour a tous!

So, I have finally decided to stoping being so paresseuse and start a blog in order to keep in touch with y'all, while I am abroad this semester.

As many of you know, I will be studying French and European Union Law at the Université de Cergy-Pontoise (
http://www.u-cergy.fr/index.php) which is-- surprise, surprise-- in Cergy-Pontoise, France. This is right outside of Paris.

During the duration of my studies, which is to say, roughly until the beginning of June 2009, I will be staying with a family in Conflans Ste. Honorine, France, which is just about midway between my school in Cergy and Paris.

I decided on this exchange program, which is one of the few offered through my law school, (The University of Maine School of Law, in Portland Maine:
http://mainelaw.maine.edu/) because it will hopefully give me the opportunity not just to learn more about another legal system, but to also polish up some more foreign language skills. I do adore learning languages! Perhaps more so than I enjoy learning law, actually....

Well, in any case, tomorrow I depart. I am taking the Concord Trailways Bus from Portland to Logan Airport (Boston). From there I am flying Lufthansa to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Paris. In Paris I will meet up with the family with whom I will live. Let us all pause for a moment, though, to marvel in some irony. The past several times I have travelled to Europe I have flown Air France, from Boston, via Charles de Gaulle (Paris) to Spain.... Naturally, the first time I will venture beyond the airport in Paris, when I want to make Paris my final destination, the cheapest air fare was on Lufthansa, which will send me further east to simply come back west to my final destination. Yay for student airfare rates, though!

And boo for overage fees on luggage over "excessive" weights. On that note, and fearful of gazillion euro charges for packing one sweater too many, I am going to go do a little unpacking, and have my last greasy American dinner meal.

Ok...jk on that greasy American meal bit...seeing as that has never much been my style. Anyhoooo...seriously, off I go to finish this unpacking business! For now, au revoir!

Bisous,

A

p.s.-- Oh, for those of you who are wondering, the name of this blaaaaaawg is "La chatte est sur la valise." This translates to "The Cat is on the Suitcase." This is because all through my packing/unpacking/repacking my dear little fluffernutter, Misty Nevara, the marvellous ragdoll, has decided that sitting on my suitcase is great fun. For real now, though,
à bientôt!

2 comments:

  1. Airfare rarely makes sense. When I was looking at flights to London, a Boston-D.C.-London flight was cheaper than a non-stop D.C.-London flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda thanks for letting me know about your blog (very nice, by the way)! I didn't know you were going to France this semester. VERY wise choice... think of all those Maine snow storms you'll be blissfully missing out on! I hope you have a great time. Now, about that chocolate....

    ReplyDelete