1.5.09

Post-- Fontainebleau Fun

1. Le mardi dernier je suis allée à Fontainebleau http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontainebleau pour voir une amie. I never realized that Christine, who I had an English class with during university, had lived in Fontainebleau. Her father is a professor and had taken a sabbatical year to teach here, about twelve years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INSEAD. Each year he continues to return, and this year for the first time she returned along with him. Thus, we decided to meet in Fontainebleau. It was a marvellous day catching up, enjoying a yummy lunch and white wine, and seeing some of the chateau, forest, campus, and village. She starts law school, http://www.northeastern.edu/law/, in the fall-- good luck to her!
2. In other news, I am contemplating fun things like the July 2010 Maine Bar Exam and courses for my LAST year of law school! Next fall: (1) Business Associations, (2) Immigration Law, (3) Independent Writing advised by Prof. Norchi--http://mainelaw.maine.edu/faculty/profiles/norchi.jsp, (4) Taxation, (5) Trial Practice. During fall semester I will also continue to study French. I could have the opportunity to return to France for my final semester, spring 2010. I am very conflicted about this; there are many pros and many cons. Ultimately, I think it is likely I will take my last semester in the U.S. and return to France for a more extended time to live and work after the bar exam.
3. I have also been thinking about the remainder of this semester! One month from today I return to the United States. While I am happy that two days after that I will be in Immigration Court on a pro bono case I have been assisting for awhile, and one week after that I will be starting my summer position at Robinson, Kriger & McCallum www.rkmlegal.com, this semester in France has not been nearly long enough! Next week my four weeks of intensive French at the Alliance Française http://www.alliancefr.org/ commence. Supposedly, the following week, I have exams for my law courses in Cergy, but it has been impossible to get an answer from the law faculty regarding when precisely these alleged exams will be held. I e-mail the dean and program secretary daily, not to mention speaking directly to the secretary everyday I am on campus. I have only been trying to ascertain this information since last fall. I am growing frustrated, but I know that everything will work out in the end. It has only taken me one semester in France to learn how to spell the word "bureaucracy" correctly in English!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you and Christine were able to meet up! Hopefully you guys had a great day.

    ReplyDelete