27.5.09

La fin de la fin de la fin de la...

Noyant d'Allier, Auvergne


Noyant d'Allier, Auvergne

I spent last weekend during the canicule (heatwave) in Noyant d'Allier, visiting my college roommate, Doris. My what a difference from my visit in early February when there was still snow on the ground!

Noyant d'Allier, Auvergne

Prior to this May visit to Noyant I went out to Senlis, in Picardie last Thursday because it was the Ascencion holiday, so I did not have class. Since seeing the movie Séraphine, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9raphine, which revolves around an artist in Senlis, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9raphine_Louis, Susan and I had been discussing a trip to Senlis (where she used to live many years ago) to see some of Séraphine's artwork. It did not disappoint, nor did the church!

Senlis, Picardie
As for disappointments-- what's with French grading!? Also, why are my language grades markedly better than my average law grades!!?? For the uninformed, French grading is out of 20, unlike the American "A" to "F" system. French grading is also notoriously rigorous, especially compared to the typical American grade inflation. In France, anything above a 10 is passing, but it's virtually impossible to get anything about a 16! My grades range from an 11.13 to a 16 and a 16.5. Evidentally I did not entirely understand the French expectations, format, wording of the questions, etc. Tant pis. Oh well. I'll take it, but I'll engage in that favorite Jewish pastime and kvetch a little too.... *winks*


Senlis, Picardie

No comments:

Post a Comment