19.2.09

Post- le treizième: ADDENDUM- "we deliver for you?"

After waiting all day (okay, only until 15h00ish, but do admire the hyperbole) the UPS truck arrived. So, I ran out barefoot. "Il y a un colis? Un colis? Je m'appelle Amanda Zane! J'habite ici...avec cette famille." Um.


After a conversation entirely en français with the UPS driver, I learned that he tried to deliver twice yesterday but nobody was home and when he looked at the mailbox name he did not see my name so he thought it was a mistake and today he did not have the package, as he was only here to deliver something to some neighbors.


I explained-- probably sounding like a three year old with my limited French, or maybe accidentally speaking in Spanish, or maybe even making up words-- that yes the door bell does actually work. But nobody was here. And I was probably at the unversity. All day long. And yes I do live here. And I am studying here. And living with this family. And I am waiting for my package. A delivery of a train ticket.


At this point he asks me if this package I'm waiting for is urgent. Right. That must be part and parcel to why I've been waiting all day for you to show up, monsieur! He explains that the package is back at the cental location place thingo and he gives me a number to call.


Thus, I come in and after 10 more minutes of French on the phone (heavens I'm glad I remember my letters and numbers so I was able to repeat the tracking code twenty-five-million times!), I resolve the confusion and hopefully they should get the package to me tomorrow morning before I go to classes.


I don't know whether to be happy that I was able to deal with this all in French, or to be frustrated. So, I'm trying to approach it with some humor, and hopefully they will deliver tomorrow-- with no further issues-- before I leave for class! Simultaneously exhilarated and exhausted from all this, I then went for a brief run down along the Seine. Several times as I passed by, I overheard people uttering words like "sportive." *giggles* C'est tout!

No comments:

Post a Comment