22.4.09

Les Vacances II: Je suis revenue de Nantes

J'aime beaucoup cette très jolie ville! I love gorgeous, enchanting Nantes. This city has restored my faith in running in France. Since arriving I have only run several times, which is bizarre since I used to run virtually every day in Portland-- usually on a treadmill during winter. Here, though, I quickly tired of strange looks and comments outdoors, not to mention the gym at Cergy (a sketchy, male-dominated sauna with limited equipment-- read: not even worth the 16 euro fee for the semester). Now that it is warmer I do see more runners in parks, but almost never just on streets, and always men, rarely women.
Thus, I was delighted when the first morning in Nantes there was a marathon. Even non-racers were out jogging each day, even in rain! In fact, while waiting at an intersection for runners to pass, a lady--clearly a native French speaker, not from Nantes-- asked me if I was from Nantes and proceeded to ask directions before I could even explain that not only was I not from the city, or the country, but that I'm hopelessly directionally challenged. Also, I was wearing an American sweater, French pants, and holding an Italian umbrella, but okay.... *giggles*
I'm trying to do this chameleon-blending-in-thing. You know, it seems to help so that every sketcho on public transportation doesn't make disgusting come-ons to you in French. The unintended consequence, though, is getting asked for directions! Do I look like I know where I am going? I wish I knew where I am going. I mean that in a different sense, though...a sense that perhaps is a little larger...perhaps.
In terms of direction, I am working on this language learning schtuff, and it was splendid to spend several days just using French. My language skills are limited, but it was enjoyable to go to restaurants (particularly Creperie Heb-Ken and La Cigale http://www.lacigale.com/), go to movies (see "Welcome" if you get the chance-- it was quite well done, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314280/, http://www.premiere.fr/film/Welcome), and do everything in French. This was essentially the first time in France that I have not been travelling with other English speakers. I am realistic that this language acquisition thing is entirely a work-in-progress, and I will return to the U.S. and continue learning and learning and learning...and have I mentioned learning?! There are moments when I despair that I will never really speak French. Stupid neural networks-- language learning DOES get harder as you get older. I didn't have these problems with my first three languages, honestly!
Well, I ought to go finish unpacking from this Nantes adventure and get repacking for Strasbourg! À tout à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment